More Green For Less Green

Living more eco-friendly for less money

5.21.2013

Freezing Whole Eggs

We switched to buying local, pastured meat via monthly pick-up earlier this year. While we are very happy with this choice ethically, we are still navigating keeping costs down. One way we do so is by taking advantage of sales. Each month, the farm runs a different seasonal special. This month's special was discounted eggs, but only with a minimum order of six dozen.  Our refrigerator is only so big, but with the power of a chest freezer, we decided to go ahead and place the order knowing that we could freeze the eggs.

OK, it was only theoretical knowledge. I'd heard that it could be done, but not tried it myself. What I discovered is that it was quite easy, once I figured out our setup.

I decided to wrangle one dozen at a time. I cracked a single egg into each silicone muffin liner. 
(I used the edge of a bowl to get a good crack, the silicone is too squishy.)Once all dozen were cracked, I covered the eggs with wrap and then laid it flat in the chest freezer. (I'd previously prepared a flat spot for the tray.)



After a few hours, the eggs were frozen.



It was easy to flip the silicone liner inside out and pop the egg pucks out into a container. At first, I put the egg pucks in Pyrex, but there a lot of wasted space in each container.  (More on that in a moment.)

Rather than cleaning the liners, I started with the next dozen and got everything back into the freezer quickly. V was eager to help, so I put him in charge of putting the empty shells into a compost bowl. he liked getting "juicy" from the tendrils of egg white. Ah, two-year-olds. I love it!

Anyway, back to the storage issue. I decided to move the egg pucks into a plastic bag. We rarely use bags, but sometimes they really do fit the bill. Ultimately, I got three dozen eggs into a one gallon bag.
 


Next up, we need to decide how we'll use them and see how easily they defrost.


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At May 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm really interested in finding out how they defrost and if the uses are limited after freezing. Thank you for your great ideas.

 
At May 22, 2013 at 9:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I really enjoy your blog and have added it to my blog list. Please check out mine as well! I think you will like it :)

 
At July 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM , Blogger A said...

Any updates on how these worked out in cooking, etc?

 
At July 12, 2013 at 11:13 PM , Blogger -Pamm said...

Not yet. We are just now finishing the last of the remaining fresh eggs. We'll start on the frozen ones soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home