More Green For Less Green

Living more eco-friendly for less money

6.21.2008

Reusable Produce Bag- Cost $0


I finished one produce bag tonight (this one is 12x16 inches) and have two others pinned to finish later. The best thing is that I spent no money making them! The fabric was leftover from a 1970s dress that I bought used and shortened; the drawstring is made of hand-me-down ribbon; and I inherited the thread and sewing machine from family members.

The fabric is sheer enough to see what is inside, so I won't have to open it for checkout. This bag weighs 0.65 oz. and a standard plastic produce bag weighs 0.05 oz. So, mine is heavier, but well worth it, in my opinion!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At April 16, 2009 at 1:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you weigh the produce in the bag at checkout. That 0.6 oz weight might be costing you by adding to the poundage when they scan & weight your stuff. Since I know I'm going to wash my produce before using anyway, I just keep one whole fabric bag aside to put all the produce in at checkout and let it run wild in one section of the cart while I'm shopping.

 
At April 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM , Blogger -Pamm said...

I hear you! I am cheap and I do sometimes take the produce out of the bag at the grocery store to weigh it. At the farmer's market they usually give me a discount because I am not taking one of their bags, so I don't take it out then. Plus, I added these to our collection which are great for things like green beans that would drive me bonkers to dump out to weigh: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5692686. I love the carrying case and the bags so much that I have bought several to give as gifts.

 
At May 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM , Anonymous svenskalamb13 said...

out of curiosity, what kind of fabric did you use?

 
At May 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM , Blogger -Pamm said...

The fabric is a very thin (see-through) gauzy polyester. I prefer netting for produce bags, but this is what I had on hand in my fabric scraps. It came from one wild looking vintage dress!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home