More Green For Less Green

Living more eco-friendly for less money

1.11.2009

9 Changes for 2009 - #2 Beans

This entry is part of a series on changes I made in 2008 that I want to stick with in 2009…

  1. Cut out canned beans
    and replaced them with dry beans

    Canned beans (and tomatoes, for the record) are especially susceptible to BPA leeching, so I thought it might be worth finding an alternative. We started buying dried beans and soaking and cooking them. Yes, soaking and cooking takes time, but we do it in bulk to get maximum impact for our time and freeze the extras for later. We started cooking one pound at a time, but we're now up to doing two pounds at a time (mondo stock pot required). Another plus is that one pound of dried beans is about the same price as a single can, yet the one pound of dried beans yields 3-4 times the amount of beans in a can. Plus, bonus points for less shipping and packaging energy expenditures.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At May 14, 2010 at 12:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that this is a old post, but I just found your blog and love it. Thanks for sharing all your experiences. My family cooks dry beans too. I used to use the same method that you described, but have changed it over the last year b/c it does take so much time and I would often forget to soak the beans the night before.

Getting to my point, we now take a bag of beans, rinse them and then plop them into the crockpot with chunks of onion, carrot, garlic, a couple of teaspoons of salt, and cover it with lots of water. We cook it on low for 5-7 hours, depending on the bean. You have a method that seems to work in your household, but I just threw this out there in case you wanted to try another method.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home